Wednesday, September 19, 2012

All The Preparation Stuff

This will be a short post, I promise, and then I'll actually start writing about the trip. But I thought it was worth it to point out a few things about how we prepared for this.

I became part of the choir in February, at which point they had already been rehearsing for about a month. We held rehearsals about every two weeks for about three hours. The first month or so we really focused on pronunciation, and then after that focused on the musicality (is that a word?) of our performance. Frankly, it was miraculous to me how quickly everyone picked up the pronunciation. It's not easy stuff, especially when you're not just speaking; you're singing. So not only did we really have to nail all those tricky consonants and glottal stops and all of that, but we also had to work in breaths, timing, and a bunch of music stuff I don't know the names to. 

It was also miraculous to me how quickly I picked up the music. I've done high school choir, but I'm no expert, and most of the people I was singing with were pros. Like, literally, professional singers and performers. They'd look at a piece of music and just...sing it. I usually have to hear it about ninety times before I can pick out my harmony (I was singing alto). Or sometimes, we'd be singing and someone would stop and say, "There's a typo in the music. It says it's a C but it should be a D." How they could hear the difference between two notes, I don't know, and it was kind of overwhelming to me to be a part of this group. I sometimes felt like I was the only one just not getting it. But then one day I realized...I was getting it. Somehow, I was learning music that I was certain was beyond me. 

About a month before we left we started collecting donations so that we could purchase hymnbooks and triple combinations in Q'eqchi' to donate to the members in the Polochik. We also had a fundraising dinner just a few days before we left. I was amazed at how many of my friends and family made donations to help us purchase these books. 

My parents, sister, and brother-in-law all came to the fundraising dinner. Mike had hired a Guatemalan chef to make real Guatemalan food, and we came early and decorated the walls and tables with Guatemalan flags, dolls, pictures, fabrics, toys, and all kinds of stuff. My family and I had fun with the Guatemalan food--we've never been especially adventurous eaters, and I'm sure the food was much different than what they had expected (I'm not sure what, exactly, they expected, but my guess would be something a little more...Mexican :)). My poor sister couldn't eat anything at all; she has potentially deadly food allergies, and with the food all prepared together, there was no guarantee that she'd be safe eating. She settled for a few corn tortillas.

Thanks to my awesome sister for snapping
this photo of us singing at the dinner!
After the food, we performed. It was the first time we had sung in front of an audience, and I was pretty nervous. I especially wanted my family to feel the Spirit of what I was doing. They had supported me, given encouragement, made donations both for the hymnbooks and to me personally to help me get to Guatemala, and it was important to me that they understand how I felt about what we were doing. Mike introduced each song before we sang, and some of the performances were a little rocky, but I felt like we still did pretty well. Then Mike announced that we would be singing a hymn that would make the audience jealous; a hymn that was well-known and well-loved in English but was not part of the official hymnbook. He asked if anyone had any guesses. My family was sitting pretty close to the front, and I heard my dad from the audience say, quietly, as if almost to himself, "Come Thou Fount." Mike explained that  though this song is not found in English, it is part of the official Q'eqchi' hymnbook. I saw my parents whip out their cell phones to take video of us singing, and after that, they filmed each song. As we finished the last song, God Be With You Til We Meet Again, I made the mistake of finding my parents' faces in the crowd. Their faces were wet, and I could tell they felt the same Spirit that I did. In that moment, I felt like my family was closer to understanding how I felt during the mission than I had at any other time.

After the performance, we had a brief meeting to discuss last-minute stuff before we left for Guatemala in just two days. Mike surprised us by presenting us each with our own copy of the Q'eqchi' hymnbook. I held it in my hands and turned it over and opened it and flipped through the pages, and I was just giddy with excitement. I couldn't wait to see the native Q'eqchi' speakers see those books and hear those hymns.

No comments:

Post a Comment